CitiCool’s Workplace Health and Safety Practices
Commitment in caring for employees’ health and safety is well stated in CitiCool’s core value. Since CitiCool started operation, this is one area which always receives high priority in CitiCool’s daily operation. In fact, even before embarking on OHSAS 180001, CitiCool already have its own set of billingual safework procedures and has conducted billingual trainings on safework procedures and risk mangement for its staff.
Like many local aircon companies, CitiCool’s staff comprises workers not only from Singapore. We also have workers from countries such as Malaysia, China and India. Most aircon technicians from India are mostly diploma holders, hence they can understand English. However, most aircon technicians whether locally or from the neighbouring countries have problem understanding the English Language but they are well-verse in Chinese. As a result, the company see the need provide its bizsafe documents and trainings both in English and Chinese Language so as to cater to a better understanding by all the staff in the company.
As CitiCool already has the basic documentations, going forward for a workplace health and safety certification was actually an easy task for the company. Instead of just going for bizsafe level 3 certification, CitiCool decided to go for OHSAS 18001 certification. Our management believe it is good to achieve an internationally recognized certification as a strategy to compliment the company’s effort in maintaining a high standard on workers’ health and safety. OHSAS 18001, being a highly recommended certification also entitled CitiCool to obtain a level 5 bizstar certification from WSHC easily.
CitiCool does not stop at having an OHSAS or bizsafe certification. We are always mindful of giving due emphasis on our workers’ welfare which is well stated in our company’s core value as follow: “Commitment in caring for employees’ health and safety and commitment in …….shall be duly emphasized.”
CitiCool’s founder was an aircon technician who fully understands the hazards relating to aircon servicing and installation which involves handling of chemicals and working at height daily. Allowing its workers to have sufficient rest has always being an important element to keep them healthy and safe daily. Some common practices to ensure that CitiCools workers’ welfare are well taken care of include but are not limited to:
- Planning its daily work schedule in such a manner that workers have reasonable and sufficient time to complete their work
- Limiting overtime work as workers need enough rest for their daily work.
- Allowing workers who stay far away from the company to drive the company’s vehicle home if they finish their work late due to unforseen circumstances.
- Dismissing all workers from work early if all of them are very efficient and have completed their work earlier. This is normally the case during the lower season for example, immediately after Chinese New Year, during the hungry ghost festival month or sometime rainy season.
- Providing a rest area where our workers can rest and interact with each other after coming back to CitiCool’s office from customers’ site. From time to time, the company also provide different types of delicious snacks such as chocolates, biscuits, potato chips, jelly and drinks for the workers to delight themselves in while relaxing at the rest area after a day’s work.
- Organizing free overseas trip for its workers and their family members (including spouse and children). The company intention is to provide a good environment for all workers to socialize and interact with each other regardless of their diverse background. This is in keeping with CitiCool’s core value on “embracing open-mindedness”. Most workers leave their families in their home country to work in CitiCool and it is important for them to feel that it is worthwhile for them to work in CitiCool and work in Singapore.
Besides the above, the company also welcome the parents, spouse or children of foreign workers who come from far away countries to visit them in Singapore to look at their working environment. Some of our Indian and Chinese workers who have worked in the company for a long time had flew their family members to Singapore for a visit. The company is always glad to offer help or even free tickets to some places of interest to these family members. In fact, CitiCool also encourage its foreign workers to fly home yearly during the Chinese New Year long holiday to spend time with their family members.